The Canadian Bankers Association is the voice of more than 60 domestic and foreign banks that help drive Canada’s economic growth and prosperity. The CBA advocates for public policies that contribute to a sound,
thriving banking system to ensure Canadians can succeed in their financial goals. www.cba.ca.
Job Title: Director, Media Strategy
This position reports directly to the Vice President, Communications and is responsible for media relations and social media strategy, in English and French. The Director is responsible for establishing and maintaining strong relationships with CBA members and stakeholders. The successful candidate will ensure that the CBA is provided with timely and accurate communications advice related to public policy issues that have an impact on the financial sector and banking in Canada.
Description of Responsibilities
As the CBA’s leader for daily interaction with media, the Director actively engages with journalists in positioning the CBA’s stance on key issues on a proactive and reactive basis.
The Director will also:
- Act as a media spokesperson for the CBA following established protocols on a full range of industry issues.
- Build and maintain a solid understanding of the banking sector’s strategic objectives and staying on top of issues as they evolve.
- Provide recommendations about the messaging, positioning and response strategy (e.g., decline interview, background only, interview, e-mail response) that should be used with media inquiries.
- As part of the CBA’s over strategic plan, in co-operation with CBA staff and member banks, develop and execute plans that build profile for the industry’s priorities, viewpoints and objectives
- Prepare and distribute news releases and supporting materials
- Ensure that effective systems are in place for monitoring media and third party organizations to track emerging issues and trends
- Prepare and distribute a daily media clips package; analyze coverage to provide insight to Management Committee and issue specialists
Social media communications
- Lead responsibility for the CBA’s social media presence
- Generate content suitable for a range of platforms, including Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook
- Implement an editorial calendar to manage content and plan specific, timely campaigns
- Develop and expand community and/or influencer outreach efforts
- Leverage Hootsuite social media management system to maximize tracking and oversight of multiple feeds, analyze CBA reach and improve social content over time
- Analyze key metrics and compile monthly reports for management
Crisis management/ Business continuity
Assist with CBA and industry incident response efforts:
- Develop and implement crisis management and quick response strategies in consultation with relevant CBA staff and member banks and according to established protocols, for communications on breaking issues to media, government and the public.
- Act as Secretary to the Public Affairs Incident Response Specialists (PAIRS) group.
- Maintain an operating business continuity kit.
Community and philanthropy
- Oversee the CBA’s financial education programs, Your Money Students and Your Money Seniors
- Conduct research into areas of financial literacy and financial security to enhance the curriculum
- Act as the liaison between the banks and registered charities, including the Canadian Red Cross and the Terry Fox Foundation, to assist with fundraising campaigns
Manage direct reports
- Supervise work and provide guidance and expertise to help junior team members meet their assigned objectives
- Ensure that performance goals are on track
- An undergraduate university degree in a related discipline such as communications, business, journalism or political science
- Minimum eight years’ experience in a similar role. Work history should include communications agency/consulting experience
- Understanding of the banking and financial services sector
- Strong writing, interpersonal, organizational and analytical skills
- Must be fluently bilingual (English/French)
- Some travel required.
Please send a covering letter and resume to David Laws, DL&Co at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate Director, Media Strategy, CBA in the subject field of your email.