The Canadian Bankers Association is the voice of more than 60 domestic and foreign banks that help drive Canada’s economic growth and prosperity. The CBA advocates for public policies that contribute to a sound,
thriving banking system to ensure Canadians can succeed in their financial goals. www.cba.ca.
Job Title: Legal Counsel
Based in Toronto, the role of the Legal Counsel is to ensure Association objectives are served with a professional and efficient mandate. This Legal Counsel role is a generalist role.
Description of Responsibilities
- Analyzing legislative and regulatory proposals impacting the banking industry;
- Developing consensus among member banks in order to prepare submissions to regulators and government officials;
- Developing and sustaining solid working relationships with regulators and government authorities;
- Acting as Secretary for various committees and groups and working closely with members of these groups with a view to providing advice, analysis and advocacy; and
- Completing such other projects and assignments as may be assigned from time to time.
Areas of focus include financial services regulations with an emphasis on anti-money laundering/anti-terrorist financing and consumer protection, and other areas as may be assigned.
Key Qualifications, Abilities and Skills
- Knowledge of the financial services industry, generally, and banks and banking in particular;
- A minimum of an LLB degree and membership, in good standing, in a provincial law society with a minimum of 2 years working experience;
- Keen interest in, and understanding of the public policy formation process;
- Excellent analytical, research, writing, and presentation skills;
- Superior organizational, interpersonal, problem-solving, and consensus-building skills; and
- Fluency in both official languages would be considered an asset.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to Krista Derksen at email@example.com.