The Canadian Bankers Association is the voice of more than 60 domestic and foreign banks that help drive Canada’s economic growth and prosperity. The CBA advocates for public policies that contribute to a sound,
thriving banking system to ensure Canadians can succeed in their financial goals. www.cba.ca.
Job Title: Senior Legal Counsel
The Senior Legal Counsel reports to the Assistant General Counsel and is based in Toronto. The role of the Senior Legal Counsel is to ensure Association objectives are served with a professional and efficient mandate. The areas of focus include financial services regulation with emphasis on Bank Act, consumer legislation, privacy legislation, anti-money laundering and, other areas as may be assigned.
Description of Responsibilities
- Provide strategic analysis and advice, and contribute to the development of industry policy positions for submissions and other advocacy initiatives;
- Draft submissions on key issues to regulatory authorities and advocate for the acceptance of industry policy positions;
- Evaluate and report to members on relevant and emerging provincial, national and international trends in regulation and recommend strategies for the banking industry;
- Acting as Secretary for various committees, and specialists/working groups and working closely with members of these groups with a view to providing strategic advice, analysis and advocacy;
- Monitoring and analyzing federal and provincial legislation focussing on impacts on banks;
- Working closely with outside counsel and CBA General Counsel to coordinate member understanding and input into significant litigation files in areas of responsibility; and
- Complete such other projects and assignments as may be assigned from time to time.
Key Qualifications, Abilities and Skills
- You have work experience supporting the retail banking sector and the financial services industry and its legal issues generally;
- A minimum of an LLB degree and membership, in good standing, in a provincial law society with a minimum of 10 years working experience;
- Keen interest in, understanding of, and experience in the public policy formation process, including the development of legislation, regulations and regulatory guidelines, and experience working with regulators and government officials;
- Strong persuasive, consensus building and leadership skills;
- Excellent analytical, research, writing, and presentation skills;
- Superior organizational, interpersonal, problem-solving, and consensus-building skills; and
- Fluency in both official languages would be considered an asset.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to Krista Derksen at email@example.com. Please indicate Senior Legal Counsel in the subject field of your email.