Toronto, November 14, 2019 – Just in time for Financial Literacy Month, the Canadian Bankers Association (CBA) today launched a refreshed and modernized version of Your Money Students, a free non-commercial financial literacy seminar for high school students across Canada. Notable improvements to Your Money Students include:
- Modern design and visual identity to enliven the experience and enhance learning outcomes;
- Improved delivery methods to increase engagement in the classroom;
- Interactive web-based “Lifestyle Reality Check” budgeting app; and
- Cloud-based technology to modernize program administration and coordination with volunteers and teachers.
"Gen Z is set to be the largest generation in Canada and already wields significant buying power. They care deeply about financial literary and the links between effective money management and overall well-being," said Neil Parmenter, President and CEO, Canadian Bankers Association. "With ongoing shifts towards self-service, automation and 24/7 availability of apps and digital banking, teaching financial literacy to young people in a creative, easy to understand and engaging way is critical to helping them build bright financial futures."
Developed in collaboration with the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada, Your Money Students is a centerpiece of the CBA’s financial literacy efforts and is delivered in English and French by volunteer bankers in their communities. The seminars are designed specifically for Grade 10-12 high school students to help them develop an understanding of responsible financial management as they prepare their transition to postsecondary education and enter the workforce.
Your Money Students covers essential financial basics such as:
- Budgeting – choosing your goals and working towards them;
- Saving and investing – the benefits of compound interest and saving for the future;
- Responsible use of credit – how to manage credit and avoid credit traps; and
- Keeping money safe – recognizing fraud in our increasingly digital world and how to avoid it.
Educators across Canada can request a seminar at www.cba.ca/your-money-programs-contact-us or email@example.com
By the Numbers: Your Money Students*
- 256,019: Students reached
- 8,534: Total number of seminars
- 1,717: Volunteer bankers
- 1,336: Participating schools
* Across Canada since inception in 1999, as at October 31, 2019.
About the Canadian Bankers Association
The Canadian Bankers Association is the voice of more than 60 domestic and foreign banks that help drive Canada’s economic growth and prosperity. The CBA advocates for public policies that contribute to a sound, thriving banking system to ensure Canadians can succeed in their financial goals. www.cba.ca.
– 30 –